Re: no question too stupid?

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:33:23 -0800, Susan Durst <susand@xxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>Anyway, since the Nikon D70 is a digital SLR, I'm thinking that the
>lenses are probably equivalent to regular SLR lenses.
>Is that true? Help please . . .   (it would be cool if you could answer
>me at mailto:susand@xxxxxxx as well as on Photoforum.) Thanks a lot.
>Well, someone had to come along and ask the dumb question . . . it's
>just embarrassing because now I've exposed myself as someone who has not
>participated here for a very long time.

I'm not surprised you still like working in the darkroom, with a name
like Durst :-)

Lenses are numbered by their focal length which has nothing to do with
the format, film, or digital. It has to do with the distance from lens
centre to where a sharp image is formed.

However, on most digital SLRs like the D70, you will see less in the
viewfinder, in other words it is like cropping the outside from a film
cameras viewfinder. Sort of like boosting the focal length but not the
same.

To sum up, your D70 using the same lenses as a film Nikon, will appear
to be longer, ie. with high focal lengh numbers. A 20mm lens will be
like a 30m lens in what you see in the image and viewfinder.

You can get an idea of the 'digital focal length equivalent' by
multiplying by 1.5 in the case of the D70.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography,
  http://easternbeaver.com/