no question too stupid?

I've been subscribed to the List for probably five years. Other
interests have precluded my reading here very often.
ANYWAY, a very generous friend just gave me a Nikon D70 Digital SLR
camera. I'm wondering if a 28-80 lens is truly like a 28-80 on my
regular old (Pentax) manual SLR. Also, this friend says that he had the
option of buying a dedicated Nikon 18-70 lens.  Does that REALLY mean
18mm? - equivalent to what it would be on a regular SLR?

My passion is still working in the black and white darkroom. Another
friend gave me an early Olympus digital camera (D600) about four years
ago and I use it from time to time, but am not very pleased with my
pictures.

Anyway, since the Nikon D70 is a digital SLR, I'm thinking that the
lenses are probably equivalent to regular SLR lenses.
Is that true? Help please . . .   (it would be cool if you could answer
me at mailto:susand@xxxxxxx as well as on Photoforum.) Thanks a lot.
Well, someone had to come along and ask the dumb question . . . it's
just embarrassing because now I've exposed myself as someone who has not
participated here for a very long time.

Susan Durst
Santa Cruz, CA