Re: PF Galleries on 29 JAN 05

Thanks again for the last two comments about it being a good stock photo. I really hated to get it off my website because I liked it. I never really saw the image as a powerful pj shot. No emotion. Thanks for the advice from everyone. It is really appreciated. Also, I have to work on that PS magic. I only have PS Elements 2.0, and I have been trying to just figure out the basics of it. I have figured out, finally, how to change the color shots to black and white since everyone has told me this is acceptable. So, I have converted my Haiti violence images to black and white. I still feel kind of funny about it, as if I am cheating.

Leslie

Leslie,

I have to agree that this is a perfectly good stock photo. Most stock
is dreadfully bad.  This has a clear and simple narrative - field doc
tends to patient.   The theme and subjects are engaging
enough.  There are other subtle things I see in the picture that
make it a good choice. The formal qualities are just fine - in fact I
think they are
more interesting than the usual tight-ass compositions.  The "decisive
moment" thing is vastly over-rated. Illustrations need some ambiguity.
Photo editors create their decisive moment to conform to their hook,
never
mind what really happened. A little PS magic can fix the tonal balance.

AZ