Re: digital latitude

Terry writes:
: Would be a good idea to establish what we mean by 'stops' ?

exposure increments of light, basically the doubling of light values from
an arbitrary point - what Ilford call a 'relative' logarithmic exposure
value.

: A twenty-one step step wedge shows 10 stops in half-stop stages,   which
is
: the useful contrast range which can be perceived by the human eye.

you are talking in stops in what way?  density isn't the same thing as
stops.  a log exposure of 0.3 increase is a stop - what this translates to
on paper in density values depends on the image and the printer.  Density
on the neg can relate to stops exposure for the paper - but that depends on
the contrast grade, the enlarger head type, the sensitivity curve of the
paper and the development etc..

I can also assure you that my eye has a far greater range than ten stops!
just did a quick check and I can easily see in excess of 24 stops (my light
meter petered out at this point :-)

Admittedly this sort of range *rarely* goes down on paper well even if it
is recorded on film, but it can be done nonetheless and it can be made to
look good.  Film is capable of capturing an enourmous amount of light
values.

whether it's appropriate, whether the photographer in question has the wit
or the skill to do it - that's really the question.

karl