Re: digital latitude

In a message dated 25/12/04 2:24:04 am, shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I've easily captured 16 stops of exposure on film, that sort of range is no
big deal for anyone who can process their own film

Would be a good idea to establish what we mean by 'stops' ?

A twenty-one step step wedge shows 10 stops in half-stop stages,  which is the useful contrast range which can be perceived by the human eye.

A professional printer woulkd regard a negative with a three stop range as being idwal for printing a full range onto grade 2 paper withj no dodging or burning in. Platinum will print similarly with a negagtive with range of eight stops.

There has been discussion here recently about finding ways of extending digital range capture to even that of negatives for silver gelatine.

If I want good range, or, if I am making negs for platinum, I get out my 10 x 8 and load the dark slides with FP4.  If such things are not significant in achieving my objective, then i am happy with the limited range of my digital cameras.

So what is the useful capture range of a good digital compact camera, a digital SLR and a professional large format digital back ? If possible could these ranges be related to one of Mr Stouffer's admirable  21-step  step wedges.

Terry