Re: digital latitude

Karl

We are talking here about density. Each 'stop' is, as you say. a range of a tenth of the full scale of 3.0, ie 0.3. What you do with that density on the negative  or capture range depends upon the process you are using; it is not relevant to the question which was asked.

The figure of 3.0  represents the contrast range which the brain/eye optical system can perceive without moving  the eye. Of course a greater range can be percived if one adds together the range perceived when looking at a bright area and that perceived when looking at a dark area but a camera only 'sees' one point at a time.

Terry