Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Film makes no sense in a poor village with no
>> electricity.  With electricity being introduced recently, it's easy
> to have
>> a shop with a Frontier and sell digital cameras to the locals.
>
>  Frankly Jeff this whole line is getting very silly.
>

> My first encounters with film did not involve a single spark of
> electricity: it was simply developed with exposing paper via the sun.
> Of course home development had already become a minority sport by the
> time Gran taught me how to do it.  In fact I don't remember her 50-y
> of photography needing a single 13-amp power point.  Cameras really
> were just boxes to hold film.

I, on the other hand, never even contact-printed by anything other
than electric light.  I've heard of "printing-out-paper", but never
actually seen any. l

> Even when we went the more conventional route, taking the films to
> "Boots" for processing.  It still didn't need any local processing.
> In fact, you can still just pop your films in an envelope and have
> them back a few days later for 5 dollars.  No need computers and
> power to view the "latent images" anywhere near the point of use -
> it just needs a postman (a man on a bike with a bag) and a tiny
> amount of patience.

That requires a reliable and cheap transportation infrastructure that
I don't think is present in these villages just getting electricity
for the first time.