Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

>That requires a reliable and cheap transportation infrastructure that
>I don't think is present in these villages just getting electricity
>for the first time.

David

If you read my post (the one to wit you reply) you would note I had (at
least intended to) very specifically left out any mention to "villages without
electricity". The postal system in the UK was certainly not cheap by todays
standards (a penny being worth a lot more then than now and all that) but
strangely it was no less efficient.  Indeed, a lletter posted first thing
in London would be delivered in Bristol the same afternoon -  that is not
achieved in today's modern system.

We don't need to dwell on how fantastic the technology behind digital imaging
is - that almost goes without saying.  But neither do we need to go into
denial of the benefits / characteristics of "the old ways".  For me the
anticipation of waiting for the films to come back was a real part of my
early love of photography.  Same in another way as waiting for the print
to magically form in the developing dish.  Watching today's kids that is
not a part of life (it's not a feature of the new ways) - images are largely
transient, taken and shared without a second look - it does not make them
less, just different.

The future of photography is indeed (as was it Karl said?) less about digital
slrs and more about mobile phones. Less about technical quality and more
about the act of communication. The real images are in our minds anyway,
not on paper. Indeed, I've never seen a 2D picture that can match imagination

Bob

FREE weekend phone calls! NO monthly fee, NO contract!

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/services/smarttalk/?StartupCode=OL063&srccode=COD_563