Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Spirer" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 8:41
Subject: Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

: The problem, Bob, is that with no electricity, there's no
: processing.  That's why when you go into these villages that recently got
: electricity, there's no base of film users.  There might be someone in
the
: village who knows how to process black and white film, but there's no
: temperature control, often no clean supply of running water, and
absolutely
: no way to run the enlarger.  Film makes no sense in a poor village with
no
: electricity.  With electricity being introduced recently, it's easy to
have
: a shop with a Frontier and sell digital cameras to the locals.

I've seen ads for solar enlargers that used to be sold in the UK - and I've
seen pics of solar anlargers in use in India.  I've even seen images of
street vendors doing while-yo-wait portraits who process the shots inside
their cameras (shemistry and all!)

it's amazing what can be done when there's a will.

however, no amount of will power will get a digital image to paper without
electricity.