Re: Fate of Silver Gelatin Paper

> Film makes no sense in a poor village with no
> electricity.  With electricity being introduced recently, it's easy
to have
> a shop with a Frontier and sell digital cameras to the locals.

 Frankly Jeff this whole line is getting very silly.

My first encounters with film did not involve a single spark of
electricity: it was simply developed with exposing paper via the sun.
Of course home development had already become a minority sport by the
time Gran taught me how to do it.  In fact I don't remember her 50-y
of photography needing a single 13-amp power point.  Cameras really
were just boxes to hold film.

Even when we went the more conventional route, taking the films to
"Boots" for processing.  It still didn't need any local processing.
In fact, you can still just pop your films in an envelope and have
them back a few days later for 5 dollars.  No need computers and power
to view the "latent images" anywhere near the point of use - it just
needs a postman (a man on a bike with a bag) and a tiny amount of
patience.

Oh well, those days are past worldwide it seems.

Bob