Re: Does Digital Rebel make for a good educational camera in your opinion?

Peeter Vissak <pv@xxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 11:21, Gary Lawton wrote:
>> A JPG file is an 8bit compressed TIFF file. However, JPG compression is
>> "lossy" meaning that data is thrown away during the compression process.
>>
>> The conversion back to TIFF will not recover data that was lost during
>> the compression. Nor can it recover the 8bits of data that were
>> discarded from the 16bit sensor reading.
>>
>> It'll work, it just wont give you the best quality

> Yes, I know all that in advance, but tell me also when a camera saves a
> picture in JPEG, does it mean, that it first handles it in TIFF and then
> converts down to JPEG for saving? Where does that downscaling process
> take place? In the operative memory?

Not exactly.  I very much doubt the camera actually produces a TIFF
format in memory before saving a JPEG; but it must of course produce a
full-resolution bitmap in memory before saving a JPEG.  This all takes
place in the camera, not in the memory card; the memory card is
nothing but storage space.