Re: Simultaneously combining the novel with the familiar

> I think it's important, regardless of how one
> feels about what is happening, to at least understand that it is
changing
> photography.
Jeff,

indeed, it's not just changing the methods / technology of photography
I think possible too it's changing (changed?) the whole nature of the
beast.

OK, my glib remark about "snappers taking 10000 ill focussed images at
arms length" might sound derogatory - but it's also not far from the
truth.  The medium of photography currently being experienced by many
is of immediacy / spontenaity: the act of doing it is far more
important than the results.  By the time you had got your film
developed in even a 1h outlet -  the digital offerings are already
passe.

Will this have knock on effects?
Will it have any impact on the perception of more traditional artistic
forms (digital or film)?
Maybe.

>but the quantum leap in ubiquity of cameras (especially with cell
> phones but also with tiny digital cameras) and the ubiquity of
images
> (ongoing in society, but now accelerated by the internet), needs to
be
> noted and discussed.
Indeed: it's not digital vs film: it's digital.
What has changed: what will be in 5-y?
It's really not the technology that matters but the speed/immediacy
that technology brings.
Comparing resolution, longevity etc ... maybe there are arguments in
favour of a film but they are on a now disused playing field.

> There are certainly a lot of trivial discussions to be found on the
web
> about film/digital.
Almost as many as Nikon vs Canon ;o)

> Even if the arguments do seem to
> circle around at times, it's about the real issues that are
confronting
> most people who are photographing.
And they are real issues and they are endlessly changing.

Bob

PS: Jeff ... I know you have gone digital now but my best memories of
your work (as shown in the gallery) are largely in the past. I hope
that learning digital has not diverted your creativity ...