Re: Simultaneously combining the novel with the familiar

jeff spirer said:
>Bob, In the end, you
>sound like someone defending the typewriter instead of the words that were
>put down using them, and whatever contributions you could make in the
>future become lost in the past.  It would be far better to use your time
>imparting your knowledge of what makes a photograph "good" or
>"interesting", where you have something to add, than to demonize
>technology, which will never add anything.

well lets get back a bit at my statement of "selceting at the source"
I totally agree with bob, and the attached comment of Jeff's is a good working one to show what i think...

Personally i would not defend the typewriter, but i would not like the idea of the user of a word processor who just types away with no caution concerning spelling, and then lets the programm correct his mistakes (precisely what i was doing a few hours ago)
Want a phographic analogy? it is letting your digicam correct white balance itself...
then soon enough there is no personal need to do it yourself, and no market need to teach one how to use it.
It is exactly what -i think- happened with light meters. Do you know that i have never handle one, neither do i kow how to use it? then one day after reading adams book, i went it to catch a snowed landscape shot...and calculated the exposures for the frame elements and took photos at each one...behold! the camera-furnished auto exposure frame as about 2 stops off.
would i get a correct one if i rellied solely on the camera? Yes, but only if i triggered it enough times...
After that experience please tell the...am i not a bit more versatile photographer?

and if you need a statement here is one:
It is not about the materials. It is about the way you use them
(enter the barnd-new-thing and lazyness factors)
and if i had the money i would buy a digital camera...

that's all, kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!