Kosta's reply

Jeff and Emily gave you very good advice. I can only reiterate what has
been said - the mat and frame are  important parts of the image, so thought
should go into choosing both.   That doesn't mean the mat and frame have to
be expensive, though.   As a general rule I've found plain and simple work
best.
Marilyn
some food for thought:
takin from my experience i would say that this is generally true, but not always...when i finish preparing the photos for my first excibition, i will mount them on whard board made form compressed paper...no mating and framing...
they are rock concert & underground theater photos with nude, so i want - and believe the subject asks for - a RAW representation. I do not want to present the photos to the viewers, i want to "drop" them on them...
it is hard to believe a golden frame will fit a metal music photo...

so my advice is: follow the other members input, it is a good one, but the moment you feel things do not fit, follow your heart/instict...no one knows your photos like you do...

enjoy the process, kostas