Review PF exhibit Aug 28

At 8:41 AM -0400 8/28/04, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated AUG 28 04. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Jeff Spirer - Life Is Hard

Interesting how different the spirits are of the people on this list. Black may be bleak this week to Jeff, but I'm not there in spirit and so nothing about this image makes me want to look at it very long.

Jim Davis - Sticky Action

How easy it is for dogs to present their primeval selves. Between the chain collars and the halter, the slightly menacing non-grin and rigid ears on the rear dog, the solid muscles of the front one, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with being any closer than 350mm to this scene. Did you choose the DOF deliberately?

D. Steve Harris -

I like this one this week best, I think. The concentration and classic squeezebox squiggle and intense absorption in the playing all appeal to me. The arrangment of the kids and their boxes is very satifying too. Taming the highlight on the metal reinforced corners of the box would have been nice, but life is a contrasty experience.

Bob Talbot - Yellow Wellies

Not very yellow, those Wellies. Grass too green, red flowers with snow?

In a rare humor this week, hey Bob?!

D.L. Shipman - Still Life

Ah, Photoshop filters can be fun to play with. But why? Photographic commentary on anorexia?

Veli Izzet - The Boss

Looks like a well kept ferry, even if the woodwork is actually formica. If the peddler is going to be the subject I think I would have gotten in closer and had him move his wares into a position that revealed something more proprietary - like on the bench in front of him with his hand spread out on top of them. Did you do any variations? The light is very nicely handled there - no flare on the windows and doorwarys and no green from the fluorescents. Good Photoshop work there.

Howard Leigh - A London Transport Omnibus

Layers are fun and this is an old trick but always neat to see once again. There's a lot that could be done to improve the rendering of the area behind the bridge - dodging, burning and adjusting the levels in the color channels could make life somewhat spicier there.

Charles Siegel - Yellow flowers - August 2004

Good jigsaw puzzle image, but it would have been nice to have a few shadows and highlights, somehow.

Christopher Strevens - Judy in the Park

Benign enough park I suppose but why do you need to put a textureless humanoid in it? The heels need to be sunk into the dirt somewhat, the body position doesn't seem to me to have any particular motivation and the clothing on the thing is completely unrelated to the park setting. Generally I'd say I don't get it. Sorry.

Time to go to bed, thanking Andy and crew along the way for their relentless reliability with our community.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822