galery review August 17th, 2004

My take on this week's 'pretty fair' gallery...

Charles Siegel Developing Fern - August 2004

I dunno, I just always think of these guys as low to the ground,
growing straight up. I can't say I've seen them this colour either. In
any case, an interesting shot, but doesn't really grab me.

Rubin F. Diehl Lilith on Rehearsal

This shot is very nicely done, with just the right amount of
highlights blown out. I'd like to see it a bit bigger though please,
our monitors are quite a bit bigger than that. I love the rich wine
colour of the - bed?

WRGill Best Friend's

Oh boy, is that a scan crop from the centre of the old family
Ektachrome there? Is that WR as a child?

Herschel Mair

Very nice, very nice. Keep up the good work.

Peeter Vissak Waiting for the concert

Egads, a scene from the 70s. It doesn't look like a really big crowd
over there. The reflections add a subtle bit of vitality to this
othewise boring scene. I'll be the concert was fun, even if this scene
of it doesn't quite make the 'art' category for me.

Bob Talbot OPA

After looking a bit and thinking a bit I think this is definitely
prison bars. And I guess some kind of double exposure or overlaid
slide? Let's see now, is that the rope that the photographer hung
himself with as this photo was taken? :-)

Marilyn Dalrymple  Desert Surprise

Wow! You send this fabulous image and only make it so small? Nice
capture.

Pini Vollach Dancing with camels

Nice shot with good depth and wonderful setting sun colours. I'm not
sure if it would have been better if you zoomed back, or shot more to
the sides, but as it is, it's a darned good image. Well done.

Per Ofverbeck Wild Carrot

Hmmm, ya, hmmm. Ok, black and white has it's place, but with a
'beautiful' piece of nature? I find the background too is slightly
annoying because it's not smoothly toned but seems to have a sort of
rippling or spotting to it. Overall, this image needs something more
to really make it grab me.

D.L. Shipman

I'm debating with myself as to whether this needs an extra bit more
unsharpening. As to the image, I like it a lot. Very nice, well done.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/