Re: Review of 2004-06-12 Gallery (top row)

> I do appreciate it when someone looks that closely at one of my
photos and
> offers suggestions to make it better.  The cropping was intentional
but I sure
> missed that spot upper right.

JIMMy

Thanks for the feedback: to many however "looking that closely" is
tantamount to picking nits.

In the old days there was probably some merit in doing that as such
flaws would seldome make it past a picture editor. Today, with
digital, I wonder if magazines etc look as critically at images?  With
digital, it really is only the broader picture (subject, composition,
lighting) that matters.  Elements in the background don't rule a shot
out because they can "be gone" so easily anyway. The only
consideration is how long (man hours) it will take to clone them out.

The dark thingy in your shot: would take under a minute to kill, so
does it really deserve comment?  Would it make your shot any less
tempting to a magazine that liked it?  I doubt it quite frankly, any
more than they would worry about cloning out the fag packet for use in
countries which are sensitive to cigarette-stuff in the media.

I guess the lesson for me right now is to step back from the detail
and comment only on the pictures I like "as a whole".  There are a few
in this week's gallery that deserve praise (coincidentally, they have
no nits either ;o).

Bob