UNEP Launches International Photographic Competition on the Environment- ANNOUNCEMENT

List HQ received this news release that may be of interest to members:

UNEP NEWS RELEASE

Focus on Your World

UNEP Launches International Photographic Competition
on the Environment

Barcelona/Nairobi 4 June, 2004 - Professionals and amateurs alike are today
being urged to unclip their dust caps and load up their cameras for the
world's biggest environmental photo competition.

As part of the annual World Environment Day celebrations in Barcelona,
Spain, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is launching its
fourth International Photographic Competition on the Environment, sponsored
once again by Canon Inc.

Nineteen parallel launches in addition to Barcelona are planned in key
cities and centres around the globe including Beirut, Buenos Aires, Dakar,
Berlin, New York and Tokyo. (See notes to editors)

The competition, called "Focus on Your World" and centred on the theme
"Celebrating Diversity," will run until 24 October, 2004 and is open to all
nationalities and ages.

Also supporting the competition are JAL (Japan Airlines), TIME Magazine,
National Geographic Society, and Earth Report/Television Trust for the
Environment.

A Gold Prize of $20,000 will be awarded to the winner of the General
category, which is open to applicants aged 25 years or over. There are also
separate categories and cash prizes for "Youth" and "Children".

Klaus Toepfer, UNEP's Executive Director, said: "The previous three
competitions have proved highly successful, generating huge interest within
the photographic world and significant public awareness of environmental
issues globally. We are again extremely grateful to Canon for its
sponsorship and those companies and organizations who will be promoting
this important event."

Fujio Mitarai, president and CEO of Canon Inc., said:"Our corporate
philosophy is kyosei, which means living and working together for the
common good. In accordance with this philosophy, we believe that a
harmonious coexistence with nature and the environment is essential for
society to achieve sustainable development. I hope that the photographers
participating in this competition, through the images they have captured,
will be able to share the kyosei philosophy ideal with the world."

The fourth competition has, as in the previous ones, secured the full
support of the United Nations family through the United Nations Department
of Public Information and more than 20 agencies who are members of the
United Nations Communications Group.

To restore Planet Earth, its people, wildlife and ecosystems back to health
requires sound science, assessments and policies, suggested Mr Toepfer.
"But it also requires an unleashing of the human spirit with its capacity
for compassion, fairness and respect. Images have, since primitive times,
been sources of inspiration and contemplation able to reveal the joy and
tragedy of our place in the world," he added.

"I hope the pictures submitted for the fourth competition will, like those
from the previous ones, help catalyze the political and social changes
needed to reach our goals and targets on issues from water and sanitation
to wildlife, waste and poverty reduction. I hope they will also delight and
illuminate, while bringing to the notice of the global public new names and
a new generation of talented photographers," he said.

Notes to Editors
The UNEP International Photographic Competition on the Environment
2004-2005 will be awarding Gold, Silver and Bronze prizes in each of the
General, Youth and Children's categories.

The Youth category is open to young people aged 15 to 24 years old. The
Children's category is open to anyone aged 14 or younger.

The new competition will not distinguish between different technologies,
with analog and digital submissions judged side by side.

The distinguished panel of judges, headed by Takeyoshi Tanuma of Japan,
will include Sebastião Salgado of Brazil, Raghu Rai of India, and Susan
Meiselas from the U.S.A., all world famous photographers.

Cities Launching the Competition
Africa: Dakar, Nairobi, Pretoria
Asia Pacific: Bangkok, Beijing, New Delhi, Seoul, Sydney and Tokyo
Europe: Barcelona, Brussels, Geneva, London, Paris, Moscow
Latin America and the Caribbean: Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro
North America: New York
West Asia: Beirut

Full details of the competition's rules and regulations; information on how
to submit photographs in both hard and electronic formats and an
application form can be read and downloaded at www.unep-photo.com

World Environment Day (WED), commemorated each year on 5 June is one of the
principal vehicles through which the United Nations stimulates worldwide
awareness of the environment and enhances political attention and action.

WED was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 to mark
the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. Another
resolution, adopted by the General Assembly the same day, led to the
creation of UNEP.

Information on the day, logos, posters, fact sheets and ideas on how to
celebrate WED can be found at www.unep.org/wed/2004

For More Information Please Contact Eric Falt, Spokesperson/Director of
UNEP's Division of Communications and Public Information, on Tel: 254 20
623292, Mobile: 254 (0) 733 682656, E-mail: eric.falt@xxxxxxxx or Nick
Nuttall, UNEP Head of Media, on Tel: 254 20 623084, Mobile: 254 (0) 733
632755, E-mail: nick.nuttall@xxxxxxxx

UNEP News Release 2004/27