Re: PF Exhibits on June 12, 04

At 9:52 AM -0400 6/12/04, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 12 JUN 04. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

jIMMY Harris - '51 Studebaker PickUp Truck

Well, Jimmy, it's just gorgeous, so pure and spotless. Amazing even with the anachronism on the seat. Looks like the whole thing was waxed, even the leather!

Jim Snarski - Interrupted Journey

Suspended with no indication of how, lovely contrast, seems not quite a sharp as it could be and I think should be. I would like to see the web, if I could see the web I'd settle for the reddish ruby block as a reflection of real life.

Andre Klaassen - Leaving the storm

Lucky you were to get such a clear window. The sky is lovely.

Peeter Vissak - Betula amphiba

And just why is the birch leaf in the fish bowl, tell us that, Peeter! I do like the palette, don't mind the warm yellow up on the left side, the water drops are very attractive, and the shapes are generally neat, but I'm not sure I understand the point.

Dan Mitchell - Pastorale

Recently I've been having a conversation with a friend of mine about a shot that has more than one focal point and how to handle that situation. How far off to the left can one put the focal point before it becomes overwhelmed by all the other data? What is the best proportion between the plow and the trees and the furrows? I don't think this is it. Perhaps it would be better if you cropped off some of the tops of the trees and had gotten the shot when the light was lower and warmer....

         John Mason - Carl Roskott, Charlottesville and University
                      Symphony Orchestra, 2004

Nice light, good handling of black and white, good skin tones, thank goodness for b&w film!

Jeff Spirer - Night Moves

I know belly dancers and prostitutes go on past their anorexic stage, but the audience doesn't seem interested. Perhaps that was what you were trying to emphasize here?

Trevor Cunningham - Green Hoofprint

I'm not so sure I can figure out which is the hoofprint and how much of it is green. Seems like a closeup shot would have been a better idea. Lots of miscellaneous data here that doesn't point to the hoofprint. Maybe it's just too contrasty a day to put this across?

D.L. Shipman - Great Egrets, St Augustine, 2002

Wow. That's green on their noses. And they're in a classic pose. It may be time to move on to action shots, however. These poses are getting a bit retro to me. Probably just me, however.

Alberto Tirado - Beso en la Calle 7

Not sure what la Calle is, but in the murk there seems to be a beso. It does look a little like one of them is not so enthusiastic about the beso, and certainly the third one seems to be in another context. The IR effect seems like it's just there for effect and not to enhance the affect.

Jim Davis - Lambert Poses Near Sunset

This is one of those with confusion about the subject - is is really the dog? If it's really the dog I think I would have gotten down on his level, and popped the fill flash on him, centered him inside the water and pilings and burned in the sunset in the water.

Emily L. Ferguson - My first rainbow

Whoops. Well, there's more rainbow there in the original digital capture, but it seems washed out from the gallery. And the reeds were a much more energetic yellow.

Thanks heaps to Andy and staff as always. We are so lucky!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822