RE: Review of 2004-06-12 Gallery (bottom row)

wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote/replied to:

>Jim Davis
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html
>
>Having said Jim has been setting high standards, this one is a real dog
>;o)
>
>Sorry Jim, the lighting is awful.
>Would fill flash have brought some life to Lambert?
>Do I recognise those posts in the water? (gull shots).
>
>The reflections in the lake are well rendered, but I would snip off the
>very top where (top right) a dark reflection just intrudes.
>
>Oh, the twig across Lambert's leg ...

Wait a second - hang on there. - Lighting is awful? What, every
element of every scene should be evenly and normally lit? Can not an
element in shadow near sunset be darker? Should I snap off twigs
randomly that intrude, and risk missing a certain pose? Must these
things be cloned out to simulate a perfect world? Are viewers really
concerned with something in the upper right edge of an obvious fun
snapshot that was never intended as 'art'?

These posts never appears in any gull shots, but are usually sat on by
Cormorants. See here:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/galleries/birds/cormorants/cormorants.html

I don't mind you pointing out what you think would improve an image,
don't get me wrong, but I just don't think every image has to be,
shall we say, perfect. :-)

So I'll give you some of my reasons why I submitted this one, without,
er, blemish removal. I like the image. It's a part of my life, my
photo partner, a scene near sundown where I capture perhaps some bird
images that would hang on the wall and be tweaked. I think the water
reflection is a real cool element - upside down, mirrored 3D looking
like it was part of some other image. The dog being in low light was
not only natural, but downplays his dominance in the scene. Plus it
also avoids blowing out highlights cause he's quite light coloured.
You're right - on looking again, the twig bothers me :-)

Thanks for the review, this was just a fun shot, a slice of my life
for you all to ponder...

--
Need a brighter headlight the safe way?
Get a MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT RELAY KIT at: