RE: Review of 2004-06-12 Gallery (Rebutting Jim's Rebuttal)

>Wait a second - hang on there. - Lighting is awful?

Yes!!!!

>What, every element of every scene should be evenly and normally lit?
No, but Lambert looks flat and lifeless. Sure, the reflections are well
rendered, but I would sacrifice them for a flattering view of your dog -
or is he really misty grey?

>Can not an element in shadow near sunset be darker?
No!

<<Should I snap off twigs randomly that intrude, and risk missing a certain
pose? Must these things be cloned out to simulate a perfect world? >>
In a world which strives for perfection, cosmetic surgery on noses, boobs,
todgers, teeth ... snapping off one twig is a minor inconvenience.  Heck,
the TV showed in Japan girls having leg-lengthening surgery: a year of pain
just to be taller and you bitch about having to move one twig?  Sanitisation:
it's part and parcel of digital imaging.  The genie is out of the bottle
and no image can be shown unretouched without comment.  Perfection, perfection,
perfection - so elusive now accessible to all ...

<<Are viewers really concerned with something in the upper right edge of
an obvious fun snapshot that was never intended as 'art'?>>
No need to play modest - of course it's art.  It's a 21st century neo-modernist
statement: cocking a snook at the digital era's superficial tide of perfectionistic
imaging.  Flat, bland lighting - twigs - intrusions all say "I'm real".

<<I don't mind you pointing out what you think would improve an image, don't
get me wrong, but I just don't think every image has to be, shall we say,
perfect. :-)>>
No Jim, which way would you have it?  For me every image is looked at "as
if" it could have been.  Some images (last week's bird) just could not be
better.  Others, well, they are lacking.

<<<I like the image. It's a part of my life, my photo partner, a scene near
sundown where I capture perhaps some bird images that would hang on the
wall and be tweaked. >>>
Fine, it's a snapshot.
Perhaps I should just stick to that phrase in future for images that are
little more than snapshots?  Should the author say "please don't comments
on this picture as anything other than a snap".  Heck no:  it's a picture
by Jim.  Let it be judged against the standards of your normal work!

<<Thanks for the review, this was just a fun shot, a slice of my life for
you all to ponder...>>
Fine, but I'd still like to see a well lit shot of lanbert ;o)

Bob