APIS 2004 The Best Inspires The Best. Alternative Processes international

We are now getting bookings for this year's APIS. It would be particularly helpful, if anyone intending to come, could let me know by early July.

THE BEST INSPIRES THE BEST.

ALTERNATIVE PROCESSES INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM

September 2004

APIS 2004 will be held in Scotland on the 18 and 19 September, with specially organised free visits to galleries on 17 and 21 September.

APIS has been  held in the UK and the US in alternate years since the first conference in Bath in 1997.

The theme of this yearsâs conference is âTHE BEST INSPIRES THE BESTâ. As such the conference this year will be held with the co-operation of

        National Museum of Photography,

        Scottish National Galleries,

        The Getty with a presentation on recent work to establish just what the âThe First Photographâ is and,

        University of Texas at Austin where the first photograph is kept

These three institutions are where much of the finest âalternative photographyâ in the world is included in their collections .

The conference is intended as an inspiration to modern artist photographers who will be showing their own work.

Processes that expand the abilities of artist photographers will include

        a cheap, simple and consistent method of making gold prints (chrysotype rex),

        a method of making large Daguerreotypes and

        a way of making cyanotypes that is simple, fast and  gives prints which tones beautifully (cyanotype rex).

        a full natural colour method of making prints.

As people said that they found the 2002 conference at the National Museum of Photography in Bradford âinspiringâ we decided that APIS 2004 should set out with the intention to inspire.

When people set out to work in platinum or salt printing or other alternative processes it is worthwhile to have a benchmark. Something to aspire to.

        There will, for example, be presentations on the gum platinum and other secessionist work of Alvin Langdon Coburn.

        As we will be in Scotland, we will have the opportunity to see the very fine original salt prints of Hill and Adamson and

        the documentary and secessionist work in albumen and gravure of the father and son team of Thomas and Craig Annan who brought Karel Klic, the inventor of photogravure to Scotland to print their work.

The cost of the conference is Â100 including a dinner on the Saturday night without the dinner the cost will be Â80.

Further details including illustrations of the cyanotype rex and chrysotype rex processes can be found at

www,hands-on-pictures.com

Credit card payments can be made through

www.silverprint.co.uk

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

www.hands-on-pictures.com/