Re: Gallery of 2004-06-05 Copyright, by the way

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Gallery of 2004-06-05

> At 1:34 PM +0100 6/9/04, Chris wrote:
> >The copyright in this case would be held by the subject of the portrait
> >(unless she signed a model release form)
>
> interesting.  How does that come to be?
>
> According to the Berne convention, to which Great Britain is a
> signatory, copyright resides with the creator unless it's assigned to
> someone else.  Seems you'd need a document certifiying that the
> copyright was transferred to your relative.

That's correct.  My wife owns the copyright from Elanor Atkinson's "Johnny
Appleseed" and "Geryfriar's Bobby" both books made into films by Disney.  We
get royalties everytime they use that.  We have to renew it.  It's a matter
of record that she owns those rights and we have to renew.  That's our
responsibility, yes.  Proof in writing.

> And actually, I see no reason that the creator should ever have to
> part with his/her copyright.  Just because Disney is one of the
> world's creators doesn't mean that permanent copyright is a bad
> concept.
>
> Jsut because I put out the effort and skill to acquire a piece of
> real estate doesn't mean that 70 years after I die it should revert
> to public domain.

You don't have to die.  It reverts if you fail to pay taxes five consecutive
years.

Keep in touch with . . .  reality? :)

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA