RE: Gallery of 2004-06-05

At 1:34 PM +0100 6/9/04, Chris wrote:
The copyright in this case would be held by the subject of the portrait
(unless she signed a model release form)

interesting. How does that come to be?

According to the Berne convention, to which Great Britain is a signatory, copyright resides with the creator unless it's assigned to someone else. Seems you'd need a document certifiying that the copyright was transferred to your relative.

And actually, I see no reason that the creator should ever have to part with his/her copyright. Just because Disney is one of the world's creators doesn't mean that permanent copyright is a bad concept.

Jsut because I put out the effort and skill to acquire a piece of real estate doesn't mean that 70 years after I die it should revert to public domain.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822