Re: Where is the original? Was: RE: Value of the Original; Guidelines for  pricing

Quacko <snapper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> <<<
> I've got fairly badly faded chromogenic materials from 30 years ago,
> stored simililarly to what you describe.
>>>>

> Lucky that Kodak (?) didn't claim they had "100-y" archival quality
> at the time then ;o)

And not now, either.

However, that *was* right about the period when Kodak was using the
"memories for a lifetime" or some similar slogan.  Which is why they
ended up in court on the subject.

> Actually it's a non-issue, or would be had Epson et al not come up
> with such ludicrous hyperbole in the first place.

I gotta ask what hyperbole you're talking about?  The 1270 materials?
I'll point out, in all fairness, that *Epson* didn't come up with
those numbers.

> Why did they?  Marketing, I guess to counter the apparent weakness
> against current chromogenic materials.  OK, they published the
> results of some tests - chosen selectively I don't doubt from
> hundreds of other tests - that proved their prints would last for
> ever.  [note, it wasn't just the 1270].

The 1270 claims were far less than "for ever".  They weren't up into
the range of dye transfer, even.

What other materials had a disaster?  I've been following this subject
quite carefully and somehow escaped hearing about it.

> Magical thinking comes to mind - if you want them to last badly
> enough then they will.
>
> Trouble is "tests" can only ever predict - add a few variables the
> testers hadn't thought relevant ...

Sure.  But the other side of that is that there's nothing better
that's possible.  Testing isn't *pointless*, it's merely imperfect.
And testing done by an independent laboratory, to their own standards,
is much better than anything a manufacturer does for itself.

> But I wouldn't be without my inkjet: I don't care if my prints last
> 20y let alone 100.  I'll be long gone ;o)

Well then!