Fwd: The June issue of The Digital Journalist is now on line

The June issue of The Digital Journalist, the monthly online magazine
for visual journalism, is now online at http://digital journalist.org

Richard Avedon has arguably the greatest body of work of portraiture
in the world. Although he is best known as a commercial photographer,
whose famous images -- such as the picture of a nude Natasha Kinski
with a snake -- have set standards in advertising, his personal
passion has been distilling major elements of American history into
portraits of people against a simple white seamless. Starting in
1987, he undertook one of his biggest projects, to picture the men
and women of the western United States.  He turned to photojournalist
Laura Wilson to help him coordinate the massive project. Over the
seven years that Laura and Avedon worked together, she chronicled the
project with her own photographs. Late last year, University of Texas
Press published her book, "Avedon at Work in The American West."  It
is an important look behind the scenes of a master photographer at
work. We especially want to commend to your attention the streaming
video interview with Laura.

Ziyah Gafic is only 23 years old. He is a Bosnian. For the past three
years he has been photographing what war has done to his country. Not
with a 35mm digital camera, but with medium format. He has recently
continued his project on what war does to ordinary people to include
Palestine and Iraq. His photographs are artistic and personal. It is
a new direction in photojournalism.

The "blues" is a true American music, rooted in the experience of the
African-American of the Deep South. The "blues" is more than just
music; it is a reflection of a culture, a time in history and the
story of the migration to the North. Sadly, this music form is fading
from the place it was born, the Mississippi Delta. Many of the "blues
men" who came from the Delta are no longer here to tell their story,
of their music, their birthplace and the road they traveled. Platypus
graduate Gail Mooney has spent the past few years documenting the
living musicians, and we proudly present it as our "Platypus Theatre"
feature in streaming video.

The greatest invasion in the history of the world, 60 years ago on
the beaches of Normandy, " D-Day" was perhaps the most significant
event in our history. Yet, astonishingly, few pictures survived of
that event.
John Morris, who was in charge of Life magazine's coverage, recalls
what happened on that historic day in "How Life Covered D-Day."

Dick Kraus was only 12 years old when the troops hit Omaha Beach, but
it has been a subject which has haunted him for years. This month, he
starts the first of a multi-series story on the veterans of that
historic battle.

IN OUR DISPATCHES SECTION

This month we received dispatches from three American originals:
David Hume Kennerly, Damaso Reyes, and Dave Marash.  All of them sent
notes from war zones; each of them focused their vision on something
other than gunfire.
We begin with an inside look at Secretary of Defense Donald
Rumsfeld's visit to Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.  Only one civilian
still photographer was allowed on the trip. David Hume Kennerly tells
the story.
If shoes could talk, they would speak of their slog through the "Dust
Bin" in Rwanda on the feet of a freelancer.  Damaso Reyes shares his
perspective. Our kicker story reads like a legend.  It's whimsical,
intelligent, sentimental and smart.  ABC News correspondent Dave
Marash wrote it from a Baghdad oasis.

Halfway through 2004, we take a break from bang-bang, if only for a moment.

Our Webmaster, Gina Trapani, traveled to Ventura, California, to
attend the Platypus Workshop.
She is not a photographer, and she was worried. "How could she
possibly produce a broadcast-worthy project?" The answer was she did.
She writes about it in this issue.

Jim Colburn, who has supplied our popular humor column for the last
seven years, is moving on -- to
the "Central America" state of Nebraska. Don Winslow tells us about
Jim's move, and what it means.
And as he is packing up, Jim looks ahead to his trip.

Contributing Editor Peter Howe talks about the meaning of the Abu
Ghraib photos, and Chick Harrity reviews the new Nikon D70 camera.

This month, we are inaugurating a new section, called "E-Bits."
Austin photojournalist and author Beverly Spicer has been sending me
what I call "the flotsam and jetsam" of the Web for the past few
years. These are photos of signs, weird events, and movie clips that
are funny, outrageous, and compelling. Life magazine used to have a
section called "Parting Shots," and in that spirit, we start her new
section. We think you will love it.

All this, including our regular columnists, Terry Heaton, Bill
Pierce, Mark Loundy, Amy Jo Marash (aka Bowers) and Jim Colburn on
his way to Nebraska.

IN THIS MONTH'S ASSIGNMENT SHEET

You will have the opportunity to experience journalism from the
viewpoints of six working news photographers who have contributed
journals to the June issue of ASSIGNMENT SHEET.

Joe Jaszewski, a young photographer who recently joined the Idaho
Statesman, discusses the physical challenges that he faced covering
stories in his journal, IDAHO WINTER. Joe explains, "My experience of
winters has been northern California-style: fog, rain, and
temperatures that dare dip into the high-30's. That  is, until I
moved to Boise, Idaho, last summer."

"THEY'RE CALLING IT A REBUILD," writes Mark Neuling, who describes
what it's like to learn that your company has been sold and the new
owners are pulling the rug out from under much of the staff at Tech
TV. Mark has some irons in the fire and we wish him luck, because we
enjoy reading his accounts of life as a TV newspuke in ASSIGNMENT
SHEET each month.

Nashville (TN) freelancer, Susan Adcock, tells her tale of adventure
with humor in "NEW YORK FOR BEGINNERS." She was there to cover the
Nashville Symphony at Carnegie Hall. Wait until you hear how she
tried to soundproof her camera and then how she made friends with
some NYC undercover narcs who tried to sell her some dope.

The vast majority of us work in small venues and rarely have an
opportunity to cover major sports events. T.C. Baker, a staffer for
the Victoria (TX) Advocate, is just such a person. You will be
surprised at the quality of the sports photos from small-town games
that he uses to illustrate his current journal, "TIME TO REFLECT."

Most of us have photographers whom we admire and try to emulate. Such
is the case of freelance photographer Sean Cayton from Colorado. He
describes how he discovered the works of his idol in a Colorado
Springs bookstore as a student, in his journal, "ROY EMERSON STRYKER
- An Uncommon Commitment to Photography in America."

We hope you enjoy this issue.

Dirck Halstead
Editor and Publisher
dhalstead@xxxxxxxxxxxxx