Re: Singing the Blues

On Jun 1, 2004, at 7:39 AM, Russell Baker wrote:

Hi Gang..............

Very often I use the Mini Lab at Sam's Club to make prints from my digital files.

I have done all the color correction
(or convert to gray scale) and image sizing
in PS 7 so all they have to do is print the files.

The price is right and they usually do a good job.

However........

When I bring them a B&W (gray scale) file
sometimes they get it right and sometimes is
comes our blue/purple.

When Sam's get a file the operator usually does some correction before printing and as you say there is a B/W setting for
grayscale images. However, the best way is to give them a RGB image that is desaturated. When you are satisfied with your image convert it to a profile for the Fuji Frontier. The Pop Photo magazine web site had this profile and instructions for download.
http://www.popphoto.com
If these are no longer available I can post this info.

Select one of your images for a test. Prepare 3 different versions.....Normal, one lighter, & one darker.....convert to the fuji profile and have them print a 4x6 test of each. Make sure you tell them to use NO CORRECTION. One of these prints or somewhere inbetween will be the setting you can use for all your Frontier prints. Use this for your color prints too.

Hope this solves your off color problems.

Dave