Re: Review of Photoforum Exhibits April 3, 2004

At 23:24 4.04.2004, you wrote:
Should this be a place where only sugar-coated praise is given to the
photographs on display? What would be the point of that?

regards,
andy

Andy,

Perhaps this is an excercise for the reviewer. Even if we don't like a picture in some gallery, we must admit that somehow the motif has attracted the shooter. Now, analysing the image we try to get closer in understanding other peoples' minds.
It's useful and self-improving.
I agree with the standpoint that we must not eat the whole soup to understand if it's salty or not.
I usually am able to understand if I do like a picture or not, but sometimes it is much harder to try to understand what made the photographer stop, frame and press the button. There may be aspects we cannot see in the very first decisive moment when we decide that the soup is salty. Just go on and you may find interesting aftertastes, even if it is only a soup, not a Crianza from Rioja.

Regards,

Peeter