Re: Review of Photoforum Exhibits April 3, 2004

> Perhaps this is an excercise for the reviewer. Even if we don't like
> picture in some gallery, we must admit that somehow the motif  has
> attracted the shooter. Now, analysing the image we try to get closer
in
> understanding other peoples' minds.
> It's useful and self-improving.

Peeter

I agree with you ... but.

If that's how you review ... fine.

Even the blunt, direct, approach takes me well over 30 minutes for a
full 12 images, typically more like an hour.   To *really* give an in
depth critique would more likely take me 15 minutes per image and even
then, probably, not in one session.  Doing a deep, insightful review
is frankly hard work.  Maybe Luis (remember him) can have one flow
from the keyboard effortlessly first time ... but he's a different
fish.

Personally if someone thinks one of my shots is total crap - that's
what I want to know.  It won't affect whether or not I like the
picture one jot, but it does give me useful feedback on how outsiders
see it.  If instead of saying the blunt truth they disguise it with
metaphor, well, I might just miss the hint.

Is there merit in trying to get inside other's minds?  Darned if I
know.  A lifetime won't be long enough for me to understand my own ;o)

Bob