Re: Review of Photoforum Exhibits April 3, 2004

Bob, et al.,

The way I review images is actually quite simple. It has nothing at all to
do with whether or not I like a particular image; frequently, the themes of
photos offered in the gallery are outside my interests. But I try to look at
them as objectively as I can, with the understanding that my own
subjectivity will be present, no matter how minute or obtuse it will appear.
I start with whatever jumps at me about the image; typically this is based
on composition, the photo as a whole. I look for shapes, patterns, colors
that tie everything together. My first statement is typically a positive
note. I then move throughout the image, following my eyes, and comment.

I don't agree with the few who believe that an entirely positive review is
beneficial. By the same token, a completely negative review (the names Faul
and Rosen come to mind) invites the critiqued individual to dismiss
everything the reviewer may say...

I believe that the professional method is to discuss an image's merits and
flaws alike, to leave no vital aspect unmentioned, to commend the
photographer for the image's strengths, and to offer suggestions about how
*I* would have done things differently, had the camera been in my hands.

Just as I have the freedom to say whatever I want about an image, the
photographer likewise has the freedom to accept or reject my opinion, in
whole or in part.

I suppose the underlying object is to allow photographers (and viewersalike)
to make adjustments in the interest of self-improvement. By reviewing
others' work, my own work will improve, just as it will by considering
others' reviews (whether or not they are about my own images).

I have always thought of the PhotoForum Exhibits as being a courtroom in
which we send our images to trial, not as a place for showing off what we
have done.

That's what they built the Guggenheim, Corcoran, and MOMA for...

Craig D. Heinz
Heinzfoto
Melbourne, Florida USA