Useless Gallery Blather

While browsing the internet for extremely high temperature survival gear for when the apocalypse comes next June, I stumbled across the PF image gallery at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html and I was moved to words.

Jim Davis (Caught Napping) - I guess this is just after you caught the bird napping right? Don't they stick their bills in their wingpits when they sleep? Anyway, I very much like the pose. I never knew they leaned so far over when performing their nocturnal ballet. Perfect DOF too.

Alberto Tirado (The flag of the poor) - First off I think your name sounds very cool. I sometimes use it when I want to feel exotic. Now the flag is quite impressive. The balance and colors work well together. I get a feeling that the pink and blue on the right are trying to overpower the smaller patches on the left but they're locked in a standoff. Do they not see the battle scars on the dark brown? Its amazing how cropping can change the impression you get from an image.

John Palcewski (Maria II) - I think I prefer this one to the last one although the last one made me want to see lower. The tilt of her shoulder works great with her face to define interesting negative space. She has a very interesting profile and straight on like that I almost see another profile in her hair. The lighting is interesting too the way the highlights in the hair draw your eye to the center of the two faces. Does she like the shot?

Don Roberts (Fading Glory) - I really like the lighting on the monuments in the back but the flag keeps distracting me from them and I would rather just look at the tombstone and wall. I imagine from your title that the flag is the important element to you so do you find the background competes with the flag for your attention? I think I would prefer the background somewhat out of focus.

Bob Talbot (Stony Cove) - You notice how the boots on the cars emulate the shape of the geese's necks? Neat-o eh? Also notice how  at least three of the people are bent over to more closely match the posture of the geese? Double neat-o. The whole shot is nicely cropped and has a sort of smoothness like a good soft focus lens. Pleasant to look at.

jIMMY Harris (POLES) - Judging by the level horizon and plumb poles, I would say this shot was carefully framed. However, although I first go to the rider, I quickly find myself moving on to the background to look over the buildings and the other horse staring at me. The line of ethnically-neutral poles that should be a strong element in the composition but these poles direct me to the horse's hoofs and the horse and rider direct me back up to the left hand corner where that horse is still staring at me. What's his problem? Back down the poles I go. Back up the horse and ....that's it. I'm gonna kick some horse ass!

C J R Strevens (Silver Sea) - The sky is so low and oppressive it bothers me. Even with the warm orange glow of the plasma egg. This looks exactly like the scene I saw in Vlad's prototype microwave oven the day before he disappeared. That must be about 5 weeks now. I should check and see if he left any loose change out in his apartment.

Jeff Spirer (Kerchief) - So its a grab ass shot eh? Alright. A behind the scenes kind of thing. That's the longest guitar strap I've ever seen. I can't really get worked up about this shot. I love Bob Marley's music but that's not enough of an attachment. I like the composition but the whole package just isn't grabbing me. I don't see what its saying.

Achal Pashine (Building in Denver, CO) - Achal's almost brutal diagonals please me. The volume of diagonals could push me over the edge but the lighting softens them up enough with the gradual lightening as you move from left to right and as you get close to the right you find the calming, comforting Bell Telephone symbol. Safely flanked by two spires you have found a home. Now you can go back out and look in the windows and when you get nervous you just settle black in with Bell. Your always at home with Bell.

Although I'm still without asbestos underwear, thanks for putting this gallery up Andy, David and the PF staff and thank you to all the contributors.

Greg Fraser
Slapper of Newts
"Things what never are they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery