Re: Kodak pro film

While I'm at it, here's another article from Kodak. It's at:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/member/ProPass/magazine/commitment.jhtml

A Word from Karen Smith-Pilkington About the Future of Film at Kodak

I want to address concerns that have arisen from Eastman Kodak Company's recent announcement of plans to aggressively invest in digital technology. Let me assure you that Kodak has, and always will, make the market's highest quality photographic films. Film products are the hallmark of our business and have helped us secure a leadership position in terms of worldwide market share. Kodak fully intends to maintain its position as the world's leading supplier of high-quality photographic film. This is true in the professional, advanced amateur and consumer market segments.

We have had a long-standing commitment to anticipating and meeting the needs of our photographers. We will continue to with this commitment. We will listen to your desires, understand the images that you take, the workflows you require, and the range of products, services and applications that you need to be as creative and successful as possible. We will continue our research and development efforts to launch new films. You will continue to see our robust portfolio of film products with increased accessibility. We recognize that film has inherent benefits to photographers in terms of familiarity of use, dynamic range, latitude and flexibility.

Today, we have the most comprehensive film portfolio ever. Over the past two years, we've introduced or upgraded eight films for our pro customers. These included new color negative (KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA Films and High Definition Films), color reversal (KODAK PROFESSIONAL E100G and GX Films), and black & white films. We are pleased with how well these products have been received, and will introduce many more in the future.

We also recognize the broad benefits of digital imaging. This is true in capture capabilities such as verification and editing on camera, and transmission of files. That is why Kodak has been a pioneer in professional digital cameras.

Our customers also benefit from our investments in digital workflow for output and services through labs in studios. We are committed to ensuring that our customers are operationally efficient and flexible. This is enabled through combining our film scanning, image science, color management knowledge, image enhancement capabilities, storage and printing solutions. The broad acceptance of these solutions is clear in virtually all markets. Key examples of these solutions are ProShots that enhance both photographer sales flow and studio workflow, as well as the keen link to their lab's workflow. In the labs, DP2 is the standard for effective and efficient workflow…first time yield, quality and flexibility. For our film customers, they can be assured that they will get the best of digital without giving up the benefits and familiarity of film.

Investing in film and digital imaging capabilities are synergistic. We are committed to both, as our customers need both! You can depend on Kodak to provide both the film products and digital solutions to meet your needs.

Sincerely,
Karen Smith Pilkington
Senior Vice President