RE: Business was RE: Question about lighting... long

That was a very thoughtful and interesting post - the sort everyone likes (I
would have thought).

Nearly all the club members have caught the digital bug.  But to return to
printing.  The point that the Epson prints fade in a few months (applies
also to Lyson mono and colour) and the E6 prints last on display for years.
I use an internet printer who prints digital files onto photographic paper.
In the school context, I don't know how much one of those digital to
photographic printer costs but using one commercially must be an option.
I've offered Epson prints for sale with limited success but really feel bad
about offering a product with undocumented longlivety.  The most recent
Epson printers claim to be more fade resistant that previous ones (My
colleague has purchased a canon 9000i printer but we don't know the prints
life span).

I suppose the desktop computer printer will eventually be sold that produce
prints that do not fade for several decades and then the photographic print
will be doomed.  Much faster printers are needed and the direction points
towards laser printers that make high quality photographic colour prints.

At least one club member has an A4 colour laser printer ($1000) that he uses
for photographs that he enters in club competitions.  His colour prints are
down to 15 c a print, whereas my inkjet A4 prints are around $5 each.  So by
paying more for the printer he gets a cheaper output.  I realize that the
digital photographic printers have an A4 output at around 15c(?) so for bulk
printing they are the best.  A photo processor nearby told me that he had
invested about $200,000 in his printer and he sells digital prints (A6) at
20c and A4 at $5 and makes a profit.  He is a commercial printer.

The 12"x16" digital prints I get over the web cost me about $7 including
postage.  To frame and mount cost me $15

I'm no longer attempting to sell photographs, I have had no success, nobody
wants to buy.  It is very frustrating.  I've been giving PC help for a small
fee now.  I do get some work.

Seems everyone round here hates me!  Did I say something?

Chris.
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk