Re: Business was RE: Question about lighting... long(-awaited)

Karl

Brilliant post: you really have too much time on your hands !!!!
> The computers really have freed them from some pretty mundane
mechanical
> processes and works that would have required some of the highest
skills,
> attained only by the most dedicated experimenter with a staunch
heart and a
> good eye are available to the masses.

> it brings a tear to the eye..

It sure does!!!!
Bloody nostalgia.

> They seem happy with the two Epson 7600 banner printers even
> though a 4 year old RA4 hanging in the digital darkroom remains
unfaded
> while 12 month old Epson Ultrachrome prints beside them have faded
to a
> nasty orange.  Some students have returned to printing RA4 from
negs, but
> they are in the minority.

The longevity issue is not really an issue once you lose the old
fashioned idea that permanence means anything.  So what that images
will not be available for our ancestors 100y for now?  They will have
plenty of thier own.  Photos - for the masses - are for the now.  All
but a triflingly small minority have a short shelf-life anyway. At
work, for marketing handouts, the company logo changes every 2 years
so the whole caboodle gets reprinted anyway ;o)

> They all buy 'Pro' films (because they're 'professional') and none
test their films.
That made me laugh a bit.

I remember a workshop given by a pro Wildlife photographer (Wildlife
Photog of Year category winner).  Some of the participants were
rambling on in the evening about the finer points of which pro films
they used in thier top-range EOS / Nikon bodies.  When they forced an
opinion from the pro his reply was "Sensia 100, EOS 5 (mid range) and
even, cough, some Sigma lenses!!!!

You really could not fault his work on quality: streets ahead.  Asked
why he didn't use the "pro" films advertised so heavily in AP magazine
<G> he replied "it was a business ... "the cheaper films / equipment
were fit for purpose".

> Photographers were once the force which pushed quality over output.
True again.

The world is coming to accept lower "quality" and rebadging it
"spontenaity".
"Output" is part of the new "quality".

> were the guys who would explain to customers that while smaller
formats were
> 'acceptable', the larger would have a different 'feel' to it,
irrespective
> of reproduction size.
I certainly rememeber arguments at work (in a former Government job)
where we had to (were required to) use our in-house pro department for
all developing and printing.  We wanted to get 5-dollar D&P done for
"record shots" but were being billed $50 at least for extremely high
quality but OTT standard stuff.  It took years to break that.  OK, our
efforts contributed, indirectly, to the dept being downsized - we got
permission to get cheap prints to stick in our lad record books!.

> Scribes were once necessary in society.
We used to have typing pools, people to operate the photocopiers,
drivers, odd-job men with hammers and drills, a design dept with CAD.

Now everyone has to use Word, Excel, Access and Power Point and are
expected to put thier own shelves up ...

The "scribes" have already gone.

> I wonder if we writers of light will follow the path of the scribes.
Yup!

Happy New Year

Bob

"If I climb a mountain and the mountain disappears
tales of strength and stamina will fall upon deaf ears"
SOS