RE: Business (misadventures)

> I'm no longer attempting to sell photographs, I have
> had no success, nobody
> wants to buy.

Hi,

I remember reading on your attempts to sell
photography since some time now. So far, I didn't have
anything to offer. I have been struggling also. In
Mexico people is very reluctant to spending money in
photography (in anything!) and I don't have another
income.

However, may I suggest as I was forced to do, to find
"output venues" for your photography. I am currently
trying (among others) to make screen savers and
electronic jigsaw puzzles. My clients are never in a
hurry to advertise so I work out a "project" first. It
sometimes works, sometimes does not.

For example, scenery photos like the ones I have seen
from you could be sold to restaurants or other
tourist-related businesses so they hand out 3.5 floppy
disks to their visitors as a token (disk here costs
about 20 cents, plus a custom label or printed
in-house). Offer them a project of 10 photos as
collectable puzzles. Some jigsaw software is $25 US.
Deep sea ports also move a lot of money, but their
graphic material is usually too technically-oriented
(workers, cargo - their interest in proving or for
insurance...). They will surely appreciate a new
vision on themselves, something even poetic, since
they are not used to it. Make a screensaver (several
software programs available) and they will be amazed.
Your client might be a customs agent or a ship broker.

There are many other "outputs" - greeting cards,
postcards, framed and mated prints for galleries,
etc... I once sold two times an enlargement of a ship
to the agent representing it and also to the pilot who
drove it into the port. One of the frames had a clock
mounted in it. More decorative than "art", but heck.
The captain would have loved it also...

In the end, the words of a friend have been resounding
in my head for years: "maybe you are missing the
market". Look at people's walls - listen to what they
say. Next, you just refocus your talent to fit their
wants.

HTH

=====