RE: Business (misadventures)

Thank you Alberto.  I have tried screen savers and the restaurant project
failed when he found some ancient mono reproductions of how it was in 1930.
My screen saver was released free with an invitation to pay.  I received
several help requests (How to remove it) but no-one paid.  I offered large
image files with a software lock, many people downloaded them but I heard
that it was possible to obtain the image without paying and lots of people
had, and there were no sales.

I had a large image filled web page (with the option to download these
locked files) and I had over a million hits in about a year but no sales.

The local gallery sold one of my lyson prints for $60 but that was the only
sale and I sold one file at $5.

I live in London and here there is a big tourist market so that could be a
possible target.  Many cards are buttoned up and there are huge numbers of
tourist images sold by shops and street markets, they all have their
suppliers.  One of the basic problems is the cost to the vendor and the
selling price.  Views of London sell at around 70c and to be viable the
vendor has to make 50c so the prints have to be supplied at 20c including
marketing features. To get this price I would need a run of 3000 cards
($300).  The sales at most individual vendors are only a about 5 a week of
any one card so to make a living I would need to sell about 13,000 cards a
week so I would need 2600 vendors each selling 5 cards a week.  Not
impossible in London but my cards would need to be very well known and thus
would need to be very good images with a very characteristic style of mine.
Not impossible but not yet achieved.

Must try harder.

Chris.
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk