National Geo's digital shoot

an article about National Geographics first digital shoot.
http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6450-6561

what I found odd was the amount of images made given the number of pics that
appear in a NG article!  Honestly, I would never have imagined so many
images would have been gathered.

"and he exposed only about 7500 images during the course of the story --
equal to about 200 rolls of film. "Prior to this, your average Geographic
story for me, shooting on film, would encompass anywhere from 500 to 1000
rolls," McNally says"

Interesting also was the idea that the monitors were calibrated to suite the
images, a strange workflow practice, no?