Re: Old Nikon lenses

Emily

Non AI Nikkors used the Meter Coupling Prong to engage a small lever in the
optional meter prisms (the standard prisms were called eye level and had no
metering capabilities) of the F and F2. That was how the meters gave you
wide open apertures for focusing. You had to rock to the aperture ring back
and forth to both maximums to let the meter know what the max aperture was
on the lens being used.

AI (Auto Indexing) Nikkors kept the Meter Coupling Prong only to ensure
backward compatibility with older Nikon bodies. A ridge was added to the
mount of the lens that acted the same as the Meter Coupling Prong to provide
again, the wide ap for focusing and communicated to the camera the max ap.

AIS (Auto Indexing with a "shutter" designation) lenses upto the AF series,
again kept the Meter Coupling Prong, and the ridge and added a small notch
added to the mount which communicated with the camera, additional
information about the lens being used such as focal length and maximum ap
and if I'm not mistaken allowed Shutter Priority modes.

Series E lenses were built as a consumer line for the long discontinued
Nikon EM, a consumer version of the Nikon line. They had lots of plastic but
the optics were traditional Nikkor.

ED is the designation used by Nikon to designate the extra low dispersion
qualities with some of their lenses. An ED lens has additional coatings on
some of the internal elements or groups. Non ED lenses have the standard
coatings. Similar to the "L" desgination of the canons.

AF lenses use the AIS mounts.

You can add any lens to any camera almost. NO other camera manufacturer can
make that claim. Non AI lenses should be used cautiously on the newer Nikon
bodies. But, I can use an Ai on an F5 and still get metering capabilities. I
can not obviously get shutter priority, and the aperture setting does not
show up in the VF or on the LCD readout. I set my ap and "know" what I have
it set to or look at the aperture ring when I need to change my aperture.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com
"The brave ones were shooting the enemy, the crazy ones got it on digital"