Re: new subject, total freedom!

> Heck, I don't have to buy all those little boxes any more. I
> think digital is all about freedom from bullshit.

Jim

If only that were true.
OK, you have got rid of much of the aggro, but when it comes to bull
you have a whole new areas of "misinformation"/misunderstanding opened
up.

"You'd be hard pressed to tell if any of the info was actually there
or guessed at.
It sure looks like it was there :-)"

Well, that's not new bullshit.  With old fashioned B&W silver prints
there was (and still is) a fantastic quality of fine "detail"
available.   No need to remember the  mantra of "proper viewing
distance" (used by many to excuse poor resolution work)  ... you walk
right up and look as close as you like.   But was/is this "real"
detail or artifact?
Are those really grains of sand / feather detail you are seeing or
"aliased" versions of the underlying detail.

That's debatable  - always was.

But if you want total freedom from bullshit in the digital age:
someone has to do sommat about the "abuse" of copyright - almost
restraint of trade - in the file format arena.
 I can understand the need to pay licence fees to use photoshop.  But
why isn't (unless I'm grossly wrong) the format to the raw files
downloaded from your Canon D10 open source?  Even stuff that used to
be freely available.

Peace

Bob