a peek at the gallery

Some comments on this weeks gallery at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

D.L. Shipman -
An odd critter indeed. I'm guessing some sort of butterfly judging by the antennae, perhaps a moth. Good luck figuring out exactly what species it is.
According to UKmoths (http://www.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/index.html), "Over 2400 [moth] species have been recorded in the UK," and that's just moths, not butterflies. http://www.leps.it/ may also be a good reference.

As to the photograph, nice, considering the scale.

Per Ofverbeck - Leek
Pleasing soft light and nice, simple composition. Left me wishing however for leeks that had not been prepared for sale at the market. As is, the the leeks remind me of the planks hewn to make the background upon which the veggies lie. And then maybe that's the point--natural things processed to Man's specification.

Robert G. Earnest - Mazda Rx8 (X-men)
Very nice commercial illustration. Care to give us the method to its creation? Looks like a lot of work.

Bob Talbot - Eternity
The bird's final destination? Or was it the other winged creature? Is there really a black sun in eternity? How much of this is actually photographic? Doesn't do much for me.

Guy Glorieux - Ste-Ursule's Falls
The picture may not capture the thundering sound, but does convey nicely the atmosphere. Having been near such places I can easily recall from memory the roar this picture conjures up. In fact, I have seen few pictures that convert sound into imagery as well as this one does.

Minor quibbles: a tad soft in this presentation. A spot of lens flare from backlighting.

Richard Kessler - Several nights before Christmas
This should result in several sales before Christmas. Good that the lighting was even enough that you didn't have to add any. That's not often the case with stage lighting. Nice job of stitchery.

Shawna Hanel - Cars
Makes me wonder how many children will receive gifts of plastic cars, so they might embark on the familiar road of environmental destruction.

Emily L. Ferguson - Myrrh??? But We need a shovel.
Away went the manger...see http://richmason.com/pfgall/pf.html for some thoughts.

Christopher Strevens - Junction Near Clapham Junction 2
This one too, visit http://richmason.com/pfgall/pf.html for comments/revision

WRGill - Dawn at Point Sur, Big Sur, CA
Dawn? Not. Too small and dark too.

Basil Saif Farhan - Emirates Towers Hotel
A tilt-and-shift lens or some post-operative manipulation would have helped here, at least from this perspective. I like what the clouds are doing and time of day chosen.

Andrew Davidhazy - Star Trail Fantasy
Faux heavens sake! I don't know what I would have said had you not spilled the beans. An interesting experiment.