new subject, total freedom!

Qkano <wildimages@lineone.net> wrote/replied to:

>Digital or analogue, one fact that has not (and never will) change is
>that you cannot recreate information that is not there.  It's a form
>of magical thinking (in the digital arena) that somehow anything can
>be done with a fast enough processor.  If you take 4 million samples
>you only have 4 million data points.  Everything else is empty bloat.
>You cannot, and never ever will be able to do meaningful upward
>interpolations - meaningful in the sense of filling in the gaps with
>what should have been there.  Already in those 5.9 million (quoted
>above) 2/3 of the reported information from the Bayer grid is already
>guesswork.
>
>If the camera can't see it, it can never be put back.

True, but looking at one of the beautiful 10 by 15 Frontier prints I
have on the wall here, the detail, the tonal range, the colours, all
are fantastic, and with a complete lack of grain. You'd be hard
pressed to tell if any of the info was actually there or guessed at.
It sure looks like it was there :-)

While I don't want to argue that 35mm Provia and an excellent scan
could be better in fine details, getting colours so lifelike as these
and with such beautiful tonal rendition would be difficult in such a
print. Frankly, I deplore film biases. Provia looks too blue, Kodak to
yellow, etc. You can believe this or not, but when I get home from
shooting, less than an hour later on screen I am seeing the same
incredible colours that I saw when I shot. And without tweaking or PS.

Not to mention the many other attributes of shooting digital that have
been mentioned so many times before. And most important to me and
perhaps many others, is that I control it all myself, with easy, and
quickly too. Other than the Frontier operator, I have no other people
who can mess up my image, nor do I have to tweak the colours any
longer. No worry about scratches on the film or moisture storing the
cassette. Heck, I don't have to buy all those little boxes any more. I
think digital is all about freedom from bullshit.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com
Replies in plain text only please!