Re: C. Burkett URL

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Zinn <azinn@netbox.com>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 9:06 PM
Subject: C. Burkett URL

> FYI
> Stuff about Burkett's "traditional" v. digitial issues.
>
> http://www.fortune.com/fortune/ontech/0,15704,560361,00.html
>
> Been beat to death here before but have a look.

Alan
Much has been said before.

The section that grabbed me was:

<<<
day you'll find countless photographers who are using medium to
medium-high resolution sensors, like the CCD in our D1X, that take a
5.9 megapixel image that can be interpolated up to 10 megapixels."

In other words, the image sensors in today's high-end digital cameras
add information to the shot that the camera otherwise can't see.

Digital or analogue, one fact that has not (and never will) change is
that you cannot recreate information that is not there.  It's a form
of magical thinking (in the digital arena) that somehow anything can
be done with a fast enough processor.  If you take 4 million samples
you only have 4 million data points.  Everything else is empty bloat.
You cannot, and never ever will be able to do meaningful upward
interpolations - meaningful in the sense of filling in the gaps with
what should have been there.  Already in those 5.9 million (quoted
above) 2/3 of the reported information from the Bayer grid is already
guesswork.

If the camera can't see it, it can never be put back.

Bob