Re: new subject, total freedom!

Qkano <wildimages@lineone.net> wrote/replied to:

>But if you want total freedom from bullshit in the digital age:
>someone has to do sommat about the "abuse" of copyright - almost
>restraint of trade - in the file format arena.
> I can understand the need to pay licence fees to use photoshop.  But
>why isn't (unless I'm grossly wrong) the format to the raw files
>downloaded from your Canon D10 open source?  Even stuff that used to
>be freely available.

I can't say much but that Canon has left RAW file conversion to 3rd
parties, which is the way it should be. And I bought Capture One LE
and I believe it's excellent. I'm real happy.

And while great detail in a photo, yes you can go right up to and and
go gee golly, but in the long run it's just a quick look, the image
either does something to one's emotions at viewing distance or it
doesn't. I've said it before but if I really want details to go right
up and look, I'd be using medium format in the first place. But that
doesn't work for my type of shooting.

I've also been over this before but film can't beat the 10D in low
light when you need higher shutter speeds, etc. Even pushed Provia
400F looks like crap when printed beside the 10D at ISO 800. And I
never seem to take photos in the middle of the day in full sunshine. I
just don't find interesting light or subjects then. So, pushing slide
film is not an option for me.

By the way, my EOS 55 is still loaded with Velvia and the wide angle
read to shoot. I've got plenty of film cameras - if I need one.

Jim Davis
- checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html