Re: CANON D10 FOCUS PROBLEM

> Bob, nobody's going to argue that Provia F with a good tripod and a
> great lens is going to give you lots of detail.

Hum?

I'm sure I remember people claiming digital was better than film in
*every* way.
That is patently rubbish.  Film can collect fantastic detail.  Scans
(short of drum scans) really do not do it justice and "who could
afford drum scans anyway?"
The days of slide-shows and even chemical prints are drawaing to a
close but that does not mean the quality was never there.  Just much
more inconvenient.

> We all have our styles of shooting. Some are hunters some are
fishers.
> I don't like setting up a big tripod and waiting, waiting waiting.
and
> hoping hoping hoping. I like to hunt, stalk and hike my way to where
> the action is. I could not do this with a bigger lens, nor could I
do
> it with a big tripod.
Well, at "Slimbridge" and the like you can walk up to the birds.  In
the countryside you will do well to get within a hundred metres of a
blue heron.  It makes no difference whether you have a D10 on a 400 or
35mm on a 600 to get close enough for the shot, unless they are
acclimitised to people, you won't get close enough for a shot that
often.

> So I'd appreciate that people stop with the 'you
> can't do this' and 'slide film and tripod is the only way to...'
crap.
> You shoot things your way, I'll shoot them mine.
Exactly.

A tripod (/ beanbag / monopod / rock) has as much relavance with a D10
as it ever did with a film camera.  Reading people (not you BTW)
meandering on about trivial differences in lens sharpness one minute
then doggedly hand-holding everything the next ...

The tests have been done enough times.
IS is much better than no IS for static subjects.  IS can never be
better than *no* movement.

At the end of the day results count: I repeat, I've seen some damned
good nature shots taken with digital technology, but not one of them
that could not have equally well been taken with a 30-y old camera and
a roll of film.   Whatever method you use is just a means to an end.

Bob