Re: CANON D10 FOCUS PROBLEM

> But it is more like cropping out of the center AND
> using a film that doubles or quadruples the resolving power of the
film at
> the same time.
That remains debatable.  For fine detail it seems false.
Actually, offsetting it is the real limiting factor for most (hand
holding) photographers: camera shake.  Even with IS the image is not
as stable as a sturdy tripod.  Camera shake in hand held shots is
generally more limiting than lens or "film" quality.

> 2. Psychologically, when you use a camera -- any camera --  you look
through
> the viewfinder and you compose based on what you see. So while
shooting you
> really are not thinking in terms of a crop. If you look through the
> viewfinder and see nothing but the eye of the raven at 700 meters,
then
> that's the picture you are going to wind up with. Sure, a bigger
sensor
> would show the entire head, but that's not the format you are using.

I guess I must be odd in that sense.  I always use gridded focusing
screens.  I'm used to "seeing" other formats - indeed I use the grid
to compose them.  Sometimes square: sometimes panorama.  Hassleblad
photos were not always printed square ;o)

> 3. The way we look at it in practical terms is just using a
different format
> film. Do you consider a 240mm lens used on a 35mm camera to be
"just" a crop
> of the image produced by a 240mm lens used on an 8x10 camera? I
doubt that
> you think that way, but It is the same argument
Well, yes actually.   If I could afford a 600mm lens for a hassie I'd
buy one.

Bob