Re: CANON D10 FOCUS PROBLEM

> > We got hooked on that extra focal length thing pretty quickly,
didn't
> > we?For a nature photographer, having your 400mm lens suddenly
converted
> > to an effective 640mm lens is remarkable.

Jesus H Jim.
I would have thought better of you than that.

On a 35mm negative, only print from the centre 50% of the area! There,
your 400mm lens is now an 800mm.
Cropping is not a new concept - it's just in the old days people
didn't need to dress it up in "effective focal length" terms.

> Is that like putting an A-16 back on a Hassy and thinking how cool
it is
> to suddenly have longer focal length lenses in your kit?
>
> "to crop is the first step on the journey to crap"  -Vlad  (i think)

I love that quote.

Digital Camera (SLR) manufacturers have tried to make a plus out of a
minus.  That's called spin.  Once we all have D10 (equivalents) they
will have to sell us something else.  Mmmm ... a bigger higher res
sensor.  Suddenly big is king again, as it always was.  OK, it might
not be 36 mm X 24 mm but cash dictates that we will all demand another
change ;o0

A good big-un will always beat a good little-un (quality scale).

If you are having to crop
1) You ain't close enough
2) You can't afford the proper lens.

Sad, but true.