Re: Looking for schools in the field of scientific and technologicalphotography.

Roger,

One can go for the latest gadgets and get super technology training and become
a great technician in the current art. If that's what one wants, fine. But,
if one wants a critical education in the photographic arts, with which one can evaluate the technologies they might encounter, then choose a fine University
in which to study. RIT is certainly one of those.

I did not mean to suggest that RIT's School of Photographic Arts and Sciences
does not provide a solid education in all of the photography related degree
programs that are offered here. I just said that for the specific goal that
Frimann had in mind we did not have the facilities and equipment to reach them.
I have been at RIT/SPAS for over 40 years now. I happen to feel that this is
one of the best places to be if one wants to learn and be involved in the
teaching of anything related to photography. If this were not so the winters in
Rochester would certainly have driven me away long ago!

In the Imaging and Photographic Technology program specifically the goal is to
provide a student with a well rounded experience mixing photography and
technology, basic science and art and to prepare the student to cope with a
variety of imaging-related application opportunities that may come their way in
the future. Adaptability to opportunity is a key objective. We do compromise on
specificity and specialization. We (the 5 faculty members in the program) feel
this is a responsible trade-off as testified to by placement success and
personal satisfaction of graduates of the program.

Andy

Andrew Davidhazy, Professor
School of Photographic Arts and Sciences/RIT
andpph@rit.edu http://www.rit.edu/~andpph