Re: Looking for schools in the field of scientific and technologicalphotography.

><<<Rochester Institute of Technology in NY sate: A program called Imaging and
>Photographic Technology, which in my opinion looks really promising.>>>
>
>That's the place I would choose.

Frímannand Bob,

Unfortunately high end stuff like what Attenborough and teams such as Oxford
Scientific Films undertake is out of the question in terms of getting involved
with at RIT. We do not have the equipment or facilities for such work. The
Imaging and Photographic Technology program provides a good and diverse
technological background and foundation to its students but there is no
"state-of-the-art" imaging capability here.

For example, we have a scanning electron microscope but it is 30 years old. We
have high speed rotating prism cameras and they are 20 to 40 years old. We have
no high speed digital video systems (we did but the tape drive  on the camera
broke and we could not afford to get the system repaired and besides by this
time it is obsolete - it was an Ektapro essentially donated by Hasselblad and
Kodak). We have a holography lab and teach a 10 week course in it. We have
light microscopes and macro stands in the Biomedical Photography department.
We probably have the world's largest inventory of Kodak Model 101 sensitometers
dating to the 60's along with newer densitometers.

There are, on the other hand, oodles of equipment to support traditional
advertising and commercial photgoraphy work. From film to large format digital
capture, over 100 individual darkrooms with 4x5 enlargers, Kreonite paper
processors, lightrooms with a large number of computer stations, output
onto all kinds of media, a service bureau to print anything on almost anything,
high end digital cameras and lenses, 4x5's, 8x10 and even an 11x14 film camera,
etc. etc.

Anyway, I am not sure that the IPT program matches what you have in mind.
There is a comprehensive description of it at: http://phototech.rit.edu
Take a look at the program outline and the course descriptions to get an
appreciation for what the program is all about. Note that in addition to this
program RIT has a VERY large population of art photography students studying
in "specialties" such as advertising and fine art photography, phoojournalism
and other similar areas. The IPT program has about 50 students - the School of
Photographic Arts and Sciences has about 750 students in it.

Don't get me wrong though. I think the IPT program is a good one ... for what
it is designed to do. I am just not sure that its objectives match your
expectations.

I think that there is also a Swiss Technology Institute that has a very good
photo/imaging program - a couple of friends of mine teach there. I'd look into
it especially if German is not a problem for you.

regards,

Andrew Davidhazy,  Professor
School of Photographic Arts and Sciences/RIT
andpph@rit.edu    http://www.rit.edu/~andpph