Re: TIF or JPEG

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@cape.com> wrote/replied to:

>After you've gone to the trouble to scan, spot, color correct and
>othewise adjust a file, why in heaven's name would you consider
>saving your master copy of it in a lossy format?

Personally, if I do a lot of work on a file in Photoshop, I'll
definitely save as a Photoshop file, with layers and all. But those
images that require this are rare for me. I save all my RAW files and
JPG previews. And if for some reason I need to sell or send a finished
file, TIF will be my choice.

>And what sort of printer doesn't understand that jpeg is a consumer
>format, not a professional one?

An amateur photo lab with a Fuji Frontier in my neighbourhood?

>Jpeg is good for web sites and email transmission of comps.  After
>that, forget it for permanent storage.

I agree. Especially for image one really cares about. And when you
consider how many images are really in that category, saving in a
format other than JPG seems silly.

Jim Davis
- checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html