Re: What does everyone use?(thanks Achal)

Achal Pashine <achal@stanford.edu> wrote/replied to:

>> getting a DSLR. And that scanner will likely be obsolete in a year or
>> two when you do go digital, but your digital camera will be still
>> going strong, and at the least be a great backup or you can sell it.
>
>Nothing against dSLRs (in fact, I 'may' buy 10D myself this X'mas, if I do
>not hear any rumors of newer Canon models in immediate pipeline), but I
>don't think the above statement is accurate.
>Is everybody forgetting the number of dSLR models Canon has changed in last
>three years? Not that D30 is obsolete now, but for people who bought it when
>it was introduced, it has been an expensive deal in terms of money spent on
>not having the latest model. Does Jim (Davis) think that 10D will stay for
>one more year without a "newer" canon model to replace it? (In fact, if you
>compare price to performance ratio, Digital Rebel is much better today than
>D30!)
>On the other hand, my film scanner bought 3 years ago is still the latest
>model HP makes! :)

Yes I think in 3 or more years my 10D will still make excellent
pictures and will be an excellent backup for whatever model I've
upgraded to.

As to your scanner. Scanner technology is basically at a standstill
for a few years. Prices have come down a bit. But if you buy new now,
you will be lucky to get half it's price in a year. As to HP, I'd
never buy anything they make :-)

Jim Davis
- checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html